Mike Moody - who for 10 years was Business News Editor and
on-air Business Reporter at NBC-affiliate KVBC, Channel 3 in
Las Vegas - has known Mitt Romney since their college days together
(they both graduated in 1971 from Brigham Young University where they were also members of the prestigious "Cougar Club").
His book, Mitt - Set Our People Free is a controversial, but
fact-based (and extensively end-noted) extension of a private
correspondence they exchanged in the late 1990s after Romney went to Salt Lake City to lead the Olympics Committee.
Mike Moody's book, Mitt - Set Our People Free, is an
open letter challenging Mitt Romney to come
to terms with his oft-changing political views, his candidacy for a
position that requires independence - rather than devotion to an outside
cause - and to think about what it means for a man who has sworn a
sacred blood-oath to the Mormon Church and it's "Living Prophet" to also
swear a sacred oath to preserve, protect and defend the U. S.
Constitution … especially when those two oaths might be at odds.
But who is former TV business news editor, decorated military veteran and
college political science instructor Mike Moody?
As a U.S. Army Captain, Mike Moody is a twice-decorated veteran of
Vietnam who has earned the Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster.
- Captain Moody served as a General's Aide at the Strategic
Communications Command at Fort Huachuca in Arizona
- Then, in his second tour in Vietnam, Captain Moody worked in Saigon and served as briefing
officer for the First Signal Brigade's Command Staff, where he monitored communication lines to the Paris Peace Talks, and frequently briefed visiting dignitaries at Military Assistance Command HQ (MACV).
As an active political participant, Mike Moody:
- Interned at the U. S. Supreme Court in 1973
- Served as District Representative for a U. S. Congressman from
Nevada, Representative David Towell (R-NV), 1973-1975
- Ran for Nevada Governor as a Republican in 1982
- Served as President of the Nevada Republican Men's Club, 1990-91
- Served as Nevada Coordinator of Republicans for Kerry, 2004
As a well-educated political scientist, Mike Moody:
- Graduated with a BA in Political Science from Brigham Young
University in 1971 - where he had been Mitt Romney's Cougar Club
Brother and graduated with him in 1971
- While interning at the U. S. Supreme Court in 1973, Mike Moody finished his
Masters Degree in Public Administration from what is now the
George W. Romney Institute of Public Management at Brigham Young
- For eight years, from 1975 to 1983, Mike Moody served as adjunct
professor in political science at what is now the College of Southern
Nevada, and has been teaching there again since the fall of 2008.
As a successful businessman, Mike Moody served as stock broker
and financial consultant for:
- EF Hutton
- USA Capital (in the brokerage division, not in the mortgage
- Moody Investment Consultants
Bottom Line: In this courageous
and controversial book, former TV business newsman Mike Moody points
out why Mitt Romney's Mormon oath is at direct odds to his U. S.
Presidential Oath - especially when his oath to serve his Church's
doctrine calls for him to support the replacement of the U. S.
Constitution by divine guidance from a "Living Prophet." Mike has documented his concerns in Mitt - Set Our People Free - and has
supported this with ten pages of independent-source End Notes that
validate every controversial statement Mike makes in this book. Mike Moody believes Mitt should use his talent, time and energy to free the Mormon people from generations of deception that continues today.